When you’re looking for a freelance copywriter, it’s important to find someone who understands your business and can communicate your message in a way that resonates with your audience.
But how do you know if you’re hiring the right person? And once you’ve found them, how do you make sure they deliver quality work on time and within budget?
In this blog post, we’ll help you navigate the freelancer waters so you can find the perfect copywriter for your business.
1. Know what you need
Before you start your search for a freelance copywriter, it’s important to take some time to assess your needs. What kind of copy do you need? Do you need web content, product descriptions, or something else entirely? Once you know what you need, you can start looking for a freelance copywriter who specializes in that area.
2. Consider your budget
When you’re running a small business, it’s important to make every dollar count. That means being careful with your budget and making sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck. When it comes time to hire a freelance copywriter, you’ll want to make sure you find someone who fits both your budget and your needs.
There are a few different fee structures freelance writers use.
Some charge by the hour, others by the project. Either way, it’s important to have a clear idea of what your budget is before you start shopping around for freelance writers. That way, you can narrow down your options and find someone who’s a good fit for both your needs and your budget.
3. Find a copywriter who fits your style
Writing style is the way in which a freelance copywriter uses language to convey a message. It encompasses everything from word choice and sentence structure to tone and overall approach. As a result, it can be difficult to find a freelance copywriter who matches your own writing style. However, there are a couple of tips you can follow to ensure you find the right fit:
Define your writing style
Before you start searching for a freelance copywriter, take some time to think about the kind of writing you prefer. Do you like concise and direct language? Or do you prefer a more flowery, descriptive style? Once you have a good understanding of your own writing preferences, you’ll be in a better position to find someone who matches them.
Consider your industry and audience
When it comes to choosing a freelance copywriter, it’s also important to consider your industry and target audience.
For instance, if you’re in a highly technical field, you’ll need someone who can write clearly and concisely about complex topics. On the other hand, if you’re targeting consumers, you may want someone with a more friendly and approachable writing style.
4. Make sure they understand your target audience
Before you hire a freelance copywriter, it’s important that you make sure they understand your target audience. A target audience is the specific group of people who you want to reach with your marketing or advertising campaigns. For example, if you’re a small business owner, your target audience might be local residents who are interested in your products or services.
To make sure a freelance writer understands your target audience, here are some guidelines to follow:
- Be clear about who your target audience is. Provide as much detail as possible, including demographics like age, gender, location, and interests.
- Explain why you’re targeting this particular audience. What are their needs or pain points that your product or service can address?
- Share any relevant information about your existing customer base. This can help the freelance writer understand the types of people who are already interested in your business.
- Give the freelance writer some specific examples of the kinds of content that would resonate with your target audience. This could include blog posts, articles, social media posts, or even email newsletters.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that the freelance writer you hire understands your target audience and provides content that speaks directly to their needs.
5. Ask to see their writing samples
When you are looking to hire a freelance copywriter, it is always best to review their writing samples first. This will give you a good indication of the copywriter’s style, voice and ability to connect with your target audience.
It will also give you a sense of whether or not the freelance copywriter is a good fit for your business. After all, you want to make sure that you are hiring someone who can help you achieve your business goals, not someone who is just looking to make a quick buck.
6. Meet with them in person or virtually (if possible)
Hiring a freelance copywriter is an important decision for any small business owner. The right copywriter can help to improve your website’s traffic and conversion rates, and they can also offer valuable insights into your target audience.
However, it’s also important to remember that not all freelance copywriters are created equal. As such, it’s crucial that you take the time to interview each potential copywriter before making a final decision. When interviewing a freelance copywriter, there are a few key questions that you should always ask.
First, find out what kinds of businesses the writer has worked with in the past. It’s important to hire a writer who has experience working with businesses in your industry. Second, ask the writer to provide samples of their previous work. This will give you a good idea of their writing style and whether or not they’re a good fit for your business.
Finally, be sure to ask about the writer’s rates and availability. Once you’ve asked these important questions, you’ll be well on your way to finding the perfect freelance copywriter for your business.
7. Get a feel for their work ethic
If you’re thinking about hiring a freelance copywriter, one of the most important things to consider is their work ethic. After all, you’ll be trusting this person to help represent your business and communicate with your customers – so you need to be sure they’re reliable and professional.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to get a feel for a freelance writer’s work ethic before you commit to working with them:
- Take a look at their previous work. Do they have a strong track record of meeting deadlines and producing high-quality content? If so, that’s a good sign.
- Ask around. See if anyone you know has worked with this freelance writer before and whether they had a positive experience.
- Set up a brief meeting or call with the writer before making any decisions. This will give you a chance to ask them directly about their work ethic and get a sense of how they would operate as part of your team.
8. Discuss deadlines and deliverables
When you’re looking to hire a freelance copywriter, it’s important to discuss deadlines and deliverables upfront. This will help ensure that both you and the copywriter are on the same page regarding what needs to be done, and by when.
Generally speaking, reasonable deadlines for freelance copywriting projects fall within 1-2 weeks. Of course, this can vary depending on the scope of the project. For example, if you’re just looking for a few blog posts, a shorter timeline may be possible. However, if you’re looking for a comprehensive website rewrite, a longer timeline may be necessary.
In terms of deliverables, this will again depend on the nature of the project. For instance, if you’re just looking for some basic website copy, the deliverable would simply be the completed text. However, if you’re looking for a more comprehensive project, such as a website redesign, the deliverable might also include an analysis of your current site, competitor research, target market insights, etc.
Bottom line: when hiring a freelance writer, be sure to discuss deadlines and deliverables so that everyone is on the same page regarding expectations. This will help ensure a successful project outcome.
9. Set some ground rules
Some ground rules you may want to consider include:
- Tone and voice of the copy. Will it be serious or light-hearted? Formal or informal?
- Style of the copy. Do you want long-form articles or short blog posts? How about product descriptions or web copy?
- Format of the copy. Do you want the freelance copywriter to provide finished, polished pieces, or are rough drafts acceptable?
- Deadline for the project. When do you need the finished product? Keep in mind that freelance copywriters often have multiple projects going at once, so be realistic about your timeline.
You may be wondering why it’s so important to set ground rules before hiring a freelance copywriter. After all, you’re the one in charge, right? Well, there are a few good reasons.
First, it helps to ensure that both you and the copywriter are on the same page from the start. Second, it helps to prevent misunderstandings or conflict down the road. And third, it provides a clear structure for the working relationship, which can help to foster a productive and successful partnership.
10. Trust your gut instincts
You’re a business owner, and you’re looking to hire a freelance copywriter. You’ve found a few writers whose work you like, and you’re ready to start interviewing them. As you interview each writer, you’ll likely get a gut feeling about whether or not they’re the right fit for your business. It’s important to trust your instincts in this situation.
A freelance copywriter is someone who will be representing your business, so it’s important that you feel good about working with them. If you don’t feel comfortable with a writer, move on to the next candidate. The right freelance copywriter will click with you right away, and you’ll be able to tell that they’re the one for the job.
If you’re looking to hire a freelance copywriter, it’s important to take the time to find the right fit for your business. This means doing your research, interviewing candidates, and trusting your gut instincts.
Once you’ve found the right freelance copywriter, be sure to set some ground rules so that everyone is on the same page regarding expectations. By taking these steps, you’ll be well on your way to a successful partnership.
Still not sure where to start? Contact us today to learn more about we can help you with your business writing needs.
Discover the tools and expertise you need to succeed in freelance writing or content creation. Or if you’re a prospective client in need of high-quality content, we’re ready to help.
- Buy my book “$100,000 per Year as a Freelance Writer: It’s Possible, and Here’s How” on Amazon for Kindle, Books2Read for Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Scribed, and more in ebook and print editions, and Payhip as a PDF
- Subscribe to my premium weekly newsletter
- Check out our White Label PLR content for residential, CRE, investment real estate, property management, and more
- Contact me directly for freelance writing and content creation services
With our expert guidance, achieving all your content creation goals is within reach, so why not let us help you succeed?
Photo by Marten Newhall on Unsplash